Sunday 1 May 2011

Birthday 2011

I am now 35.

If I blogged this two weeks ago...it may be more relavent. Alas, I still am going to blog. Even though I have many more things to blog about. Like Baby A's first Birthday. We are still cleaning up...that will be another post.


Like I said..35. Half way to 70. To celebrate I wanted a family day. Just the four of us...sharing in each others company and enjoying the sunshine. That and I wanted some crab for dinner. Yummy crab dripping in butter and steamy hot. So we headed here...


One of my favourite places in Vancouver. There is something there for everyone. I love it all...


So does this little man. Melt. Sigh. He is growing up too fast. 

We were starving and debating on where to go for lunch. The kids were starving too so we opted for the old standby...The Sand Bar. It was good. I wouldn't go on and on about it, but it was nice, food was good, atmosphere relaxed, it was clean, huge, loud, friendly, and we could be seated right away. Plus we could drink these...


Yum. 


The kids were great too. E and Baby A were hams.


She enjoyed her pomme frites. 


E drew me a map of someplace...on his kids menu. Gosh they're cute aren't they?

After lunch we headed to the market. I brought the point and shoot so here are some classic Granville Island photos...


Fresh herbs at the flower market. You know the one. The one that makes you wish you had a few extra 20's in your pocket to buy that absolutely beautiful bouquet, but you can't because you need to eat for the rest of the week?


Piles of peppers


Veggies and fruits as far as the eye can see!


Fruits too...stacked to perfection...


Grape mountains 


Carrot bunches 


Scallions (that's what Mr. Man calls them - I call them green onions)


Semi-waxed apples. 


Lollipops hand made


Heirloom Tomatoes


Mr.Man practically ran here to salivate over the cured meats. Oyama. 


Olive tubs...Mmmmm....olives. 


Cheese anyone? 


I love cheese!! Especially when I get my picture taken! 

Then we headed to my favourite bakery EVER...well, maybe not ever, but you know what I mean...


We grabbed the last one. For dinner. For my butter slop and mopping sauces.
 It really puts all other baguettes to shame. 


Easton was engrossed in the beauty of it all too. He helped pick dessert and of course later eat it. He was decisive and knew EXACTLY what he wanted and didn't want. 

Then we headed over to my other favourite place...the net loft. I love Paper-Ya. The written word store. So many pretty pretty things. But not as pretty as my pretty little bebe... She was a trooper. 

 
Mr .Man stood in line to get me a Cappuccino at my favourite coffee stop. JJ Bean people. Try it. I love it. Spread it around. Savour it. Sip it. Smell it. LOVE IT.
It was busy that day...but we managed to find a prime photo spot...


Thank-you random stranger for capturing us so perfectly. Well, maybe not Avery's best angle...but we are all together. The sun is out. We are happy. We are full. We are not cranky or tired. We are...


Love. (good one little E)


He enjoyed the thrill of the 15 foot drop below...
I took this photo to encapsulate the wonder of this moment. 

Then we headed off to get what we really came for...
*warning*
crab cruelty to follow these photos...continue at your own risk



Yum.  Had some for lunch.


Easton picked out dinner. 


"hold me"


Mussels too please (Easton didn't seem to mind picking them...didn't want to try one though). 


Baby A sits patiently. Does she have a choice? 


Look Momma - LOBSTERS!! 


Mission accomplished. "Mom...can you hold this...Crabs are heavy."


Unfortunately the day ended with a major temper-tantrum here. Something about a Lego watch. Hmmm...note to self...never tell them anything or show them anything unless you intend to follow through. Ehhem...



Mr. Man saw this sign as we waited for a light on our way home. I liked it. It is true. Just say it like it really is people. 


Mr. Man de-bearded the Mussels and...


said a little prayer to our crabs and read them their last rights and...


Look at the nice table. 


They were done!


He made a beure blanc sauce (fancy for TOTALLY AWESOME, FINGER LICKING GOOD, GIMMIE SOME MORE butter sauce). He served it with tomato concasse and applewood smoked bacon and toulouse sausage fondue (remember Oyama?) and Asparagus. 


Voila! So good. SO good. Perfection. 


Loved it. Loved the baguette too, the vino and of course...


Watching little E master his crab crackers. Note his unbreakable concentration. 


Dessert was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G too. We shared them all. Yes...them ALL. 


Birthday number 35 was good in so many ways. I have a good feeling about the year as it begins anew. Looking at the glass half full, enjoying moments, savouring adventure, trying new things...so much to look forward to. So many things I will get to remember and so many things I will learn to forget. Now come on...lets GO!!! 

E.








1 comment:

  1. Entertaining and funny as usual...must go eat...those amazing Tavis cooking photos got this girl hungry!!!!!

    ReplyDelete