Monday 20 June 2011

Lets Ride

This is my amazing friend.


A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

I could blog about her for hours. Hours!! I love her. She inspires me. She makes me laugh. She makes me think. She makes me cry. She makes me listen. She makes me dream. She makes me love more and try harder. Gush....

This past weekend she rode in the most inspiring bike ride spanning two countries...The Ride to Conquer Cancer. 

She raised $4000.00 dollars. $4000!! 

She trained while raising two boys and taking care of her husband as he pushed his way through his second year of med school. She was determined. She is a superstar!! Seriously. This woman is strong. She has done two Ironman's. 

Two. 


Smiling and happy at 6am in the pissing rain. Ready to blaze over 260km of terrain. 

It was grey. It was wet. It was cold. It was damp. It was...well...it was bad. I had to put on my best "it's not gonna be so bad" face and fake it for her. I was cold just standing there watching her sort her gear! I am a baby. That is a whole other post. 


She is beautiful too no? Hardcore!! 


So as I left her on the side of the road dragging her bag to the event tent...she never looked back. She never faltered...she just tucked in...head down into the wind (and teeming rain) toward the start line. There were people everywhere. All with the same determination. It was quite a site to see. 

I them drove (at 6am...eh hem) to Starbucks and ordered a HOT coffee and a scone. I sat in the comfy couches and read my book. In silence. Alone. Heaven. 

At 8am i picked up the girls...and we hit the border. 

After a wee wait we were through! Let the sickness ensue!!
 We hit the Premium Outlets. 
We did some damage...some more than others...


This was only the beginning people. It was fun. 
We did think of our girl on her bike...in the rain and cold and then we felt like complete hypocrites shopping. 

Then that moment passed. 

We made it to the hotel and then walked to this Restaurant. 



It is INSANE!

The menu was about 20 pages long and overwhelming to say the least. 


Megan noted the advertising...so the menu was in fact only 10 pages long. 

It really is a great place. 
Loud, busy, tons of choices, good food and awesome service. 


I had fish tacos. 
They had me at Avocado. 


We loved it. 
Especially the young girls face when I asked her to take this photo. 
She thought we were crazy. Ok...she thought I was. 
She gave me the "why do you want a photo in the Cheesecake Factory" face. 
She was probably 10. 
Her Mom looked on proudly. 
She did a good job. 
Thank-you random Tween.

After dinner we were determined to go to a movie. We desperately wanted to see Bridesmaids...but it wasn't playing. We settled for Hangover 2. Um...what can I say...you'll have to see it for yourself. 


My first ever movie in the US
I know...where have I been. 
The theatre was glorious! 


Red, velvet and empty. I felt compelled to go to the front and do this...


I don't get out much. 


The fun was contagious as you can see..."Girls Gone Wild!" Yar. 

After the movie we headed back to our suite and Nicole read us a bedtime story. 


It is real. 
It is funny. 
It is not for kids. 
There are bad words. 
Perfect for parents of two kids. 
Apparently there is a version out there of Samual L. Jackson reading it. 
I want one. I would have to hide it. Especially when little E starts to read. 

We awoke to cloud cover and no rain. Our girl was already on the road. Riding to the finish line. 


Megan and Nicole walking toward the race finish to cheer on the riders. 
It was so inspiring watching the riders come in. 

It was moving. We cried. We stood still and took it all in. 
Amazing. 
11 Million dollars raised. 

$11.1 actually


Then she came flying in tucked behind the cropped out bum that was on the right of this picture. 
Sorry Leanne. 


She didn't care. 

She DID IT!!!


Unbelievable. She is still standing. We were so glad to be there to hug her and welcome her in. 



Like I said before...inspiring! So proud. 
So PROUD!!



The Pit Crew. 




Then she had to find her bag and have a shower in a semi truck/mobile shower. 


She was rewarded handsomely with a lunch at Olive Garden. Pasta of course. She wanted anything besides gel and granola bars. 

Then we hit IT.  


All of us. 

Leanne must have been on a riders high cause she shopped up a storm too.


Thank-fully the bike was on the outside cause it sure wasn't fitting on the inside. 


How does this happen?

We hit the highway at 8pm and then it was a blur. I have forgotten it already...something about a speeding ticket...3hr. border line up...one lane open on the port mann bridge...cheezies from 7-11, rest-stop M&M's...chicken trucks...Fathers Day weekend...Wendy's drop off...forgotten keys...and FINALLY falling into bed at 1am. 

What a ride. Thank-you Leanne. 
You ROCKED it! 

Megan wanted to sign up for 1212...no...not the shopping part...the Ride for the Cure part. We all decided on a Sprint Triathlon instead. 
March 2012. 
UBC. 

Please hold us to it people. 

I know I will be counting on you. 

E

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Erin, I am sniffling back the tears. Bodhi's diaper cream is doing the trick on my chaffing :) it seems surreal now, but you brought me back, right back, thank you!! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another awesome blog Erin. You're so good at reliving the moments through words. :)

    Congratulations Leanne! You did it.

    See you at the finish line in March :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wish I was there, but clearly there wouldn't have been room for my shopping bags!!!
    Leanne is so inspiring, she doesn't need help, she just pushes through and accomplishes!!!
    Miss you, talk soon,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS...I want to hear about the speeding ticket and the 3 hour line up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Leanne!! I am so impressed. But it looks way too cold for me. Living in the Cayman Islands is really rough!! I am not sure if i could ride in the rain and cold. Next year you have to come here and do the sea swim with us.
    Awesome Ride i love the photos
    Love and Miss You
    Tonya and the gang

    ReplyDelete